Editor/Writer for a new weekly digital publication: Protegra's The Local Frequency
- Status of employment – 6-month contract position, with option to renew or convert to permanent
- Work schedule – FT
- Compensation - $38,000.00 - $48,000.00 annually
Local Frequency is a shop local program. Consumers download a free app to deal in Local Dollars, money that can be earned and spent at local independent businesses that participate in the program. Our goal is to get people to make the shift to local when they can. While this is meant in a shopping sense today, we understand that there is more to local than just spending money.
To further this goal, we are adding a weekly publication. Our publication aims for positive, delightful, and inspiring stories that help our readers discover, shift more purchases to local, and get involved (volunteer, donate, participate, enlist others) in what’s going on in the community.
Twenty 350-word articles will be published weekly and delivered through the app, email, our website, and promoted on social media.
These are not surface-level advertorial pieces about participating business, but mainly evergreen stories focused on people, events, and positive action in our community.
Job Type / Category
We are looking for an excited, motivated, and passionate person looking to lead our publication. We are starting by offering a six-month contract. This is a new role, so we want to ensure it’s a fit for both of us. Our intention is for this to become a permanent position, and we want to work with the successful candidate to make that happen. This is an opportunity to work on an innovative and purpose-driven team, lead a group of writers, and make your own mark on the publication.
We are looking for a keen go-getter who is excited by this opportunity, and wants to grow something.
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
- Characteristics of being a good fit:
- You have a warm personality, and are interested in learning about people and their stories
- You’re a good listener
- You know how to write a good story
- You’re a self-starter who is comfortable working independently
- You have attention to detail, manage work, and hit deadlines
- You’ve helped and coached freelancers
- You have excellent editing skills
- Manage a team of freelance writers (some on a steady schedule, some one-offs)
- Develop original story ideas
- Assist with strategic direction of the publication
- Assist with assessment and hiring of freelancers
- Develop stories, conduct interviews, and write articles of your own
- Contribute to overall layout and design of the publication
- Manage photo and video content
- Manage the written content, edit it, and ensure consistent voice
- Publish to social media
- A university degree or equivalent is preferred
- Three years of related work experience
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $38,000.00 to $48,000.00 /year